SAUCY STREET POETRY, FAKE BLUE PLAQUES,THE CHEMISTS DAUGHTER AND AN UNDERLYING WHIIF OF LAVENDER .

I really must tell you all about Saturday, it seems to have taken me all week to get the words flowing in soup that was once, a very long time ago, my brain.
It was such a fantastic day, warm and sunny, so I packed my suitcase full of interesting things and hopped on a train to London Bridge.
It was the day of the Bermondsey St Festival.
There were stalls crammed all along the street and in the park, selling loads of interesting crafts and delicious food.
The best for me was the Creamer and Lloyd stall, it was all about words, words, words.
I couldn't get enough of it.
Giant Fridge magnet poetry,

and fake blue plaques you could write your own inscription on.
Let me tell you, there was no holding Nora back!
You can see the results of the project here.
Traveling further south down the street is a little shop, once a chemists, then an antique shop, now an emporium full of hand crafted beauty.
Bermondsey Fayre is run by my, now sadly ex, neighbour, Liz daughter of the afore said chemist.

Liz has stocked Flaming Nora's goods since she opened nearly a year ago,yes,so when she told me she was turning the back storage room in to a workshop space old Nora's ears pricked right up.
Using Saturday's festival as an excuse for a launch we set to organising an autumn schedule.
You can see the full Bermondsey fayre schedule by clicking the link at the top right of the page.
Saturday was a taster session to introduce people to what we are going to be up to.
We were making Lavender bags, I had such a mix of people come along, from mum's with young children in tow

to families

local residents

and young women having a fun day out.


I made lots of new little friends.

I always have an age limit in my kids sewing classes, but as this was a drop in session and all the children were well supervised by their families, I decided to be lax about my rules. Well thats what rules are for isn't it? Whats a rule for if not to be broken.
One of the joys of the whole day for me were the little pre school age kids, strangely but pleasingly mainly boys.
I was amazed at what they could achieve with the right amount of help and encouragement.

It got Liz and I thinking , soon when we can work out a date we are going to try and do a Mum's and under 5's sewing and craft morning.
Should be an interesting experiment!
As ever the creative talent people brought to the workshop was inspiring.

I wish I had had more time to explore the whole festival, but by the time we had finished most stalls were packing up.
However next year I shall be more organised, take the whole family and plan my time properly.
Love Nora xx

Comments

  1. Looks like a great day - love the fake blue plaques! I don't know that part of London at all but looks like I should go exploring. Glad you had a great time, x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day! It's such a special thing to be able to share crafting with people who are new to it, or lack confidence, don't you agree?
    I love your lavender sign - it made me laugh!
    Wishing you a happy weekend ahead,
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts